Tuesday, October 21, 2008

observations from a reunion


There is someone on the planet who can describe in detail my preferred nap position when I was three years old.

People who were boring and annoying twenty years ago are still boring and annoying.

People I used to feel really comfortable with I still feel really comfortable with.

A few people are taller than I remembered. Most are shorter.

After twenty years, age and disappointment have begun to distort faces. Hair loss makes men harder to recognize than women. A few people look scarily middle-aged.

Generally the people who come to reunions are in top shape, or have recently gotten into top shape.

There was a toast to classmates who died before graduation. Seven names were read. I recognized three of them.

Candace thanked me for turning her on to Led Zeppelin. This is my preferred legacy from high school. Not throwing the Slurpee on Jag’s car.

2 comments:

Anna San said...

why did you through a slurpee on jag's car? was it cherry? coke? blue raspberry? i miss 7-11. i wonder if they have them in westchester?

Anonymous said...

this is so freakin' sweet.
this pic would make absolutely sick album cover.